JavaScript är inaktiverat i webbläsaren, läs mer här.

Legal proceedings in contentious cases

A dispute arises if two parties are in disagreement. If the parties cannot resolve the dispute themselves, the district court can deal with the matter. Some of the most common disputes are disputes about money, consumer disputes and disputes within the family.

Disputes about money

If the dispute involves money, the parties can often make a private settlement.  The Enforcement Service can help you with, for instance, getting someone who owes you money to pay, or with evicting a tenant who does not pay the rent. The district court can determine the dispute if the person who owes you money still does not want to pay.

Consumer disputes

A consumer dispute is a dispute between a business operator and a consumer about goods or a service that the consumer bought for private use. As a consumer, you can get assistance from a consumer advisor. Consumer advice services are available in most municipalities. Read more on Konsumentverkets webbplats (the Swedish Consumer Agency website, link opened in new window).

A consumer who does not have a complaint regarding goods or a service rectified can refer to the National Board for Consumer Complaints (ARN). The decisions of the Board take the form of a recommendation to the parties to resolve the dispute in a particular way. If one of the parties does not comply with the recommendation of the Board, the other party can take the matter to court. Read more on Allmänna reklamationsnämndens webbplats (The National Board for Consumer Disputes website, link opened in new window).

Disputes within the family

If disputes relate to the family (for example, parents who cannot agree on the custody of, residence and access (visitation) for a child), it may be that the parties must refer to court to resolve the issue. Read more under the menu 'Family'.

Senast ändrad: 2019-01-02

Application for summons

The district court can deal with the matter if you and the other party cannot reach agreement.

How to apply for summons.